Around the Farm: November 25, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday.
Dominican Winter League
- Juan Diaz (SS, Estrellas de Oriente): 3-for-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 K: Diaz hit .266 for Triple A Columbus last year, hit .267 in his short big league stint, and is hitting .264 right now in the winter leagues. It is what it is with Diaz, but he is playing his best ball of the winter right now, going 6-for-10 over his last four ballgames, and of course, hit his first homer on Sunday night.
- Jose Ramirez (2B, Toros del Este): 2-for-4, 1 R: Ramirez is “only” hitting .273 over his last ten games, but is hitting .333 overall for Toros. This kid is putting up some exciting numbers, and has even managed to drive in ten runners in only 21 games. His slash line right now is .333/.440/.406.
- Chad Huffman (RF, Toros del Este):1-for-4, 1RBI, 2 K: Huffman now has hits in all four of his winter league games, and is 5-for-15 overall. The kid can play baseball, but continues to be a stopgap at Columbus.
- Carlos Santana (DH, Leones del Escogido): 1-for-4, 1 R, 2 2B, 1 K: Well, look who showed up at winter ball. Carlos Santana made his debut for Leones, and roped a double in his first game. It will be interesting to see how many games he plays, and if he gets some catching in, or just plays DH.
- Danny Salazar (SP, Leones del Escogido): 4 IP, 2 H, 1 R/ER, 1 BB, 4 K: Salazar faced off against knuckleballer Steven Wright, and held his own. Wright did go seven, while Salazar seems to be building up innings again. He went two in his first two appearances, three in his next two, and this was his first four inning stint. In 14 innings, he has only walked four, while striking out 17. Wright sure does look good. Can’t imagine he won’t be in the Red Sox rotation at some point this year…and for Lars Anderson. What a joke.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Jesus Aguilar (1B, Leones del Caracas): 1-for-2, 1 RBI: Aguilar followed up his big game on Saturday with a run-scoring single on Sunday. It’s a big year for the big first baseman, so it’s good to see his game picking up steam as the winter league begins its final stretch.
- Ezequiel Carrera (RF, Navegantes del Magallanes): 2-for-3, 2 R, 2 BB: Carrera is just lighting it up in Venezuela right now, hitting .326 overall, and .333 over his last ten games. In 11 games overall, he has seven runs, 15 hits and two doubles, to go along with a homer and four RBI. He’s also stolen five bases.
- Paolo Espino (Caribes de Antzoategui): 4 IP, 5 H, 1 R/ER, 2 BB, 1 K: Espino made his debut in the winter leagues with a fairly regular performance for him at this point. He rarely makes the big mistake, and seems to always pitch well. Is it enough though?
Jim is currently the senior editor and Columnist, as well as the host of IBI's weekly online radio shows, Smoke Signals and Cleveland Sports Insiders. You can follow Jim on Twitter @Jim_IBI, or contact him via e-mail at email@example.com.
As per Santana...yeah...let's trade him...he's garbage (hope you can read the sarcasm there)....
There isn't a team in the league that wouldn't swing a deal for him...not one...