Around the Farm: April 25, 2011
Around the Farm takes a quick look at some of yesterday's performances by Indians prospects throughout the system. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday's game.
Jordan Brown-RF/DH, Columbus: 3-for-7, 2 R, 2 2B, HR, 5 RBI:
Jordan Brown just never goes away. Brown has had a cup of coffee with the Tribe, but just can't seem to find a home. Still, the kid never seems to get the break he needs to make a full-time trip to Cleveland. With that said, he never gives up. Brown belted a grand slam today in game 2 to help bring the Clippers back from a 5-0 deficit. He's currently riding a five-game hitting streak in which he's hitting .368.
- Cord Phelps-DH/SS, Columbus: 0-5, 2 R, 3 BB, 2 K: Phelps managed to score two runs without getting a hit in today's doubleheader. It goes to show that you can have a good day by drawing walks.
- Chad Huffman-LF, Columbus: 2-for-3, R, HR, RBI: Huffman celebrated being named IL player of the week with a home run.
- Travis Buck-1B, Columbus: 1-for-3, 2 RBI, K: Buck's averaged actually dropped to .545.
- Luis Valbuena-SS/3B, Columbus: 3-for-5, R, 2B, 3 RBI, K: Valbuena is getting hot at the right time. If he can keep the bat rolling, he may get a call soon.
- Alex White-SP, Columbus: 5.3 IP, 5 H, 1 R/ER, 2 BB, 8 K, HR, W (1-0): White continues his climb to Cleveland with his first win, and another dominating performance. It's only a matter of time.
- Jensen Lewis-RP, Columbus: 1 IP, H, W (2-0), 0.00 ERA: Lewis should be done proving himself to Cleveland brass. He's too good to be stuck in triple A, but he has to figure out a way to carry his skills to the bigs consistently.
- Carlton Smith-RP, Columbus: 1.1 IP, H, K, 0.00 ERA: Smith has now gone 7 1/3 innings without giving up a run, which is only 1/3 inning less than JLew.
- Josh Judy-Closer, Columbus: 1 IP, K, S (2): Judy gets his second save in as many days.
- Tyler Holt-CF, Kinston: 1-for-3, 2B, RBI, BB, SB (9): Holt continues his stellar play as a game-changer for Kinston.
- Casey Frawley-SS, Kinston: 2-for-4, R, 2B, RBI, K: Frawley has been inconsistent offensive in his debut at high A this season, but is 4-for-12 in his last four games. Perhaps his bat is starting to wake up.
- Greg Folgia-RF, Kinston: 2-for-4, R, 2B, RBI, K: Folgia hasn't done much since his call-up. Even after tonight's game, he's only hitting .192, while striking out 12 times without a single walk.
- Drew Pomeranz-SP, Kinston: 3 IP, 3 H, 1 R/ER, 5 K, HR: Other than the homerun, Pomeranz was again solid in this short appearance. Obviously, the Indians are really monitoring his pitch count this early in the season.
- Tyler Sturdevant-RP, Kinston: 2 IP, 3 H, BB, 2 K: Sturdevant continues a solid 2011 season with two innings of shutout baseball. His ERA dropped to 1.54.
- Kyle Blair-SP, Lake County: 5 IP, 5 H, 1 R/ER, 4 K, HR, W (2): With so much focus on Pomeranz and White, 4th round pick Kyle Blair has been able to sneak between the cracks a bit. After briefly struggling with control issues to start the season, Blair has been outstanding since, winning his last two starts.
- Francisco Jimenez-RP, Lake County: 3 IP, H, 2 K, H (2): Jimenez has yet to go less than 3 innings in a game this season, which makes you wonder if he is going to be looked at as a starter down the road. He's made occasional starts over the past couple of seasons.
- Clayton Ehlert-Closer, Lake County: 1 IP, S (4): Ehlert gets his fourth save, without any trouble.
- Jesus Aguilar-1B, Lake County: 1-for-3, R, HR, 2 RBI: Aguilar hit his fourth homer in two days, and his team leading fifth overall. Lake County only had four hits on the game, with Aguilar's 2-run jack being the game winner.
Follow Tony and the Indians Prospect Insider on Twitter @TonyIPI. Also, his latest book the 2011 Cleveland Indians Top 100 Prospects & More is available for purchase for $20.95 to customers in the US (shipping and handling extra).
Jim is currently the senior editor and Columnist, as well as the host of IBI's weekly online radio shows, Smoke Signals and Cleveland Sports Insiders. You can follow Jim on Twitter @Jim_IBI, or contact him via e-mail at email@example.com.